Thursday, July 29, 2010

Coming Soon: 5 must-see movies on a screen near you


I am addicted to watching movie trailers. My friends always joke about this time we were going to the movies, and I may or may not have been driving slightly over the speed limit just so I could get there in time to see all the trailers. And now I have the internet enabling my addiction by having trailers up as soon as they are released. It’s a vicious circle. 

Here’s just a few I’m excited about.



The Social Network
Director: David Fincher
Writer: Aaron Sorkin
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Andrew Garfield, Rashida Jones

With Facebook recently reaching its 500 millionth user, and founder Mark Zuckerberg becoming the youngest billionaire in history – now comes the story of how the whole crazy thing began. 





Why this could be awesome: The idea of this movie does seem on the nose, but in the hands of Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing) and David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac), this could be really interesting. Plus that awesome, awesome cover of Radiohead’s Creep gives me faith that this might not just be another average corporate doco-drama.

Why this could be horrible: A movie about Facebook? Really? Do I really want to watch a movie about middle-class white guys getting rich? Mark Zuckerberg comes across as such a douche in real life, can I stand to watch a 2hr movie of his life? Especially since he’s played by Jesse Eisenberg who annoys me more with each movie he’s in.


The Town
Director: Ben Affleck
Writers: Ben Affleck, Peter Craig, Aaron Stockard
Cast: Ben Affleck, Rebecca Hall, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Pete Postlethwaite, Chris Cooper

The Town is the tale of a group of ruthless bank robbers being hunted through the streets of Boston by a tenacious FBI agent, and a woman who might unknowingly destroy them all. Based on the book Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan, which won the 2005 Hammett Prize for excellence in crime writing.



Why this could be awesome: Ben Affleck’s directorial debut Gone Baby Gone was actually really good and this tension packed trailer looks like he might actually stack up to be a better director than actor. Plus it has an awesome cast. Jon Hamm I love you!!

Why this could be horrible: The trailer sort of seems like it’s giving away the storyline, but having not read the book I could be wrong. And a movie set in Boston with a wide range of attempted Bostonian accents is always a challenge – I’m looking at you Blake Lively.


RED
Director: Robert Schwentke
Cast: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban, Mary-Louise Parker

When his idyllic life is threatened by a high-tech assassin, former black-ops agent Frank Moses reassembles his old team in a last ditch effort to survive. Based on the cult D.C. Comics graphic novel by Warren Ellis.



Why this could be awesome: Helen Mirren shooting a machine gun and karate chopping a dude in the neck with her purse – I’m there! This looks like a lot of fun.

Why this could be horrible: These comic book adaptations tend to be hit and miss. Let’s hope the plot holds up against the novelty of having a movie about old people kicking ass.


Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
Director: Edgar Wright
Cast: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Alison Pill, Brandon Routh

Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil ex-boyfriends in order to win her heart.



Why this could be awesome: Based on the comic book series (condensing 7 books into one movie) this looks like a visual feast. Edgar Wright (director of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and the Spaced tv series) has a fantastic style and pop-cultural sensibility and it looks like it’ll be a blast to watch.

Why this could be horrible: For the love of god Michael Cera – play a different character! I don’t know how many more ‘loveable’ slacker roles I can take. Don’t kill all my Arrested Development goodwill towards you. And I’m a bit worried that this movie could be too cool for its own good. I hope all the hype doesn’t overshadow my enjoyment.


Somewhere
Director: Sofia Coppola
Cast: Stephen Dorff, Elle Fanning, Chris Pontius

A hard-living Hollywood actor re-examines his life after his 11-year-old daughter surprises him with a visit.



Why this could be awesome: This looks beautiful. Sophia Coppola has this completely intimate ethereal style that works so well. I’m also a fan of a well placed piece of music and her movies always have great soundtracks. This one looks like it will be no exception with the excellent use of Phoenix and Strokes tracks just in the trailer alone.

Why this could be horrible: Her style can feel slow. And her plots always have generally the same theme of alienation. More of the same thing, no matter how good, might make me feel like I’m watching Lost in Translation 2.

How about you guys?  What do you think?  Are you looking forward to these movies?

2 comments:

  1. The Social Network trailer is fantastic, but like you say, Jesse Eisenberg does not grow on me the more times he seems to play himself, much like the point you make with Michael Cera. All the Scott Pilgrim hype is killing me, so I hope my expectations won't be too high for that one. I love Sofia Coppola movies, so keen to give Somewhere a go for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - Jesse Eisenberg is Michael Cera Mach II. I didn't mind him in The Sperm and the Whale, but after watching essentially the same character in Zombieland and Adventureland, I think I'm almost done.

    ReplyDelete